1.23.2012

The Girlfriend

To date, life in Jolly Ole has been a pleasant change from the ordinary. It has been an entire shift in life experience for me and I have been dealing with my 'role' and how to define how I fit into a family. The label of step-mom has been perched on my shoulder, cackling, pecking for attention. The thing is, I'm not a step-mom, I'm an entire level below step-mom, I am the lowly Girlfriend. I know, it's completely ridiculous and self-absorbed to worry so much about it but it's difficult to come into and already-established family unit let alone dealing with the intricacies of just two people shacking up. Sometimes I feel like the third wheel. Certain outings tend to bring up more emotional issues than others and the outing taking the cake, so to speak, right now is the Kiddy Birthday Party. This weekend we went to a party for twin boys at the Heron's Leisure Centre in Haslemere. To begin with, being surrounded by twenty-plus children under the age of five is enough to make anyone at least nervous, if not mildly insane. Added to this assault of the senses is the fact that Julian and I are at least ten years younger than the majority of other parents. I have no problem socializing with people older than myself, in fact, I normally prefer it. I do, however, have a bit of trouble finding common conversational topics between myself and a group of parents. I am not a parent; nor am I, as we established earlier, a step-parent. I am The Girlfriend. The people at this party were, of course, beyond lovely and friendly and I, of course, feel like a complete dick saying anything negative about them, but I couldn't help feeling like everyone was judging me. All eyes bored into me from all angles and suddenly I'm the new girl in school again. I can hear whispers in my head, I can see the sideways-up-and-down glances picking me to pieces, measuring me against the Mum. How is it possible to feel so small again? So it was with this awkward self-consciousness that I tried to make normal conversation and act responsible and look respectable while wanting, the whole time, to chuck my heels across the room and get balls-deep in that bouncy castle. One very nice woman approached us and asked me, "So, how is your son enjoying the Royal School?" Let's look at some of the responses and their respective rejections which ran through my head in the agonizing seconds of silence before Jules saved me.
"Oh, he's not my son." Top of the awkward list. Guaranteed to evoke pity and embarrassment in the asking party and will likely end in a termination of an almost-lovely conversation.
"Oh, I'm just Julian's girlfriend." See that 'just' in there? Excuse me while I wallow in the self-pity corner sewing this large G onto my jacket so I can easily be identified as the 'Girlfriend' and subsequently avoided.
"Oh, it's great! He loves it!" I frequently, desperately, terribly wanted to lie. It's so much easier. But then I thought.... Somewhere down the line I will be found out and I will probably be forever excluded from the elite Parents' Club and become a social outcast and be the source of all heinous gossip at every child's birthday UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

So instead I said nothing. I looked away and then, through fitful glances, deferred the question to Julian, making me feel like one of those subservient wives that doesn't speak until her husband ok's it. Ugh. You can't fucking win. Upon further investigation, I found out this lovely woman was American. She had lost most of her accent and had fully settled into England with a husband and two kids.
"I met my husband in America and three months later he moved back to England. He wanted me to come over and get married but I wanted to do it my own way, so I got a visa myself and worked towards my dual citizenship when I came over."
Oh thank Jesus, I felt normal! Another foreigner! Even better, a foreigner who was as fiercely protective of her independence as I was! I started to breathe a little easier, began to loosen up and warm to the idea of a conversation I could relate to.
"Oh, sorry, please excuse me, I have to grab a place in line for the loo." Connection terminated. Back to jealously eyeing how much fun the kids in the soft-play were having. I would have felt a hell of a lot more comfortable somersaulting through a rope maze and being spat on in the ball pit. This ugly self-pity started to cling a little closer to my bones once snack time began. I sat at the back of the room on a row of chairs and watched all the parents dole out finger food, clean up spills, wipe mouths, encourage the eating of vegetables, socialize with other parents about their child's hatred of said vegetables..... I sat at the back like some weirdo in the bleachers of a kids' softball game. I, who have been the favourite babysitter of about a million kids, felt like the awkward perv that doesn't interact with anyone, just stares. What was I supposed to do? I didn't feel like one of the group, so I was reluctant to jump in on the snack-time orgy and start talking to other people's kids. Would that be weird? I remember at the last birthday party when another group of sugar-and-preservative-drugged children were stampeding around the middle of a dance floor and a very young boy got knocked over and started crying. Ever single cell in my body lit up and began firing. I desperately wanted, needed, with all my undeveloped mothering instinct to pick that baby up and comfort him. And I couldn't. I didn't. I looked about feverishly for the parents, pleading with my eyes, all but standing up and windmilling my arms screaming, "Someone pick up this baby!!!" I just thought it would be weird if I did. I thought the parents would think I was out of line. I though maybe the child would scream even harder and then I'd really feel like a shit. It was only later on that I realized how utterly stupid I had been. I saw how sensitive I had become because the whole experience of feeling like the odd one out, the outcast, had brought me right back to grade school. It was like a time machine had wrenched me from my semi-self-assured 26-yr-old body and poured me into the body of a shy, self-critical, weak little girl. I couldn't pick up that baby because I was too small. I shouldn't pick up that baby because someone more capable will come and do it. Silly isn't it?!?!?

Unfortunately, the shame and sensitivity kind of stuck with me. Another weekend, another birthday, another awkward round of explaining who I am, where/how I fit in. Because I've been knocked down a peg, suddenly even the little things are getting to me. The fact that I can't comfort Thomas when he's upset. The fact that Julian is the ultimate authority in that little man's eyes. I want to hug him and for that hug to be enough to make him feel ok. I want to show him that I can tie shoes, too! I can re-transform that transformer as well as Daddy can! Well, let's be honest, Transformers look like the inner workings of an aircraft to me and I have about the same odds of fixing either of them. Still, nothing re-affirms my place as The Girlfriend more than being brushed aside by a pre-schooler. How can someone so small make me feel so utterly sad? We dropped him off at his Mum's at the end of my big confidence-destroying weekend and to add insult to injury he wouldn't hug me goodbye.
Heart. Broken.
4-Yr-Old: 1 Hillary's Self-Esteem: Somewhere in the negatives.

Julian took me out for a lovely dinner afterwards for some desperately-needed couple time. I did feel a bit silly looking back on it after all. It's easy to take things personally and forget how even a smile from a kid can brighten up my whole world. It's hard to remember how blissfully unaware they are that your every emotion and hope and feeling are hopelessly tied to their every word. I know I'm just The Girlfriend right now, but goddamn it's hard even being that. As Ju and I sat in the tacky italian restaurant stuffing ourselves un-guiltily with creamy tortellini and smoked-salmon fettucinni we couldn't stop laughing. We laughed at the horrid salmon-hued decor, laughed at the questionable music, laughed at the other stuffy, sombre diners, laughed at each other. I thought for sure we would be asked to quiet down at any moment. After a weekend of being the responsible ones, it was wonderful to just be kids again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Manda said...

Alright... I'm just gonna say my piece here. I have a fair bit of experience with kids and having to take on the authoritative role with them... and desperately just wanting them to love you.

While I don't know what it's like to step into the step-mom shoes and find they're much to big... I do get a lot of what you're saying. I pretty much took on a lot of raising my sister when my Dad moved out. A lot of the time, she really resented me for it and I really resented her for the responsibility she thrust on me. But that's not the same, because we're family and we adore each other as much as we make each other mental.

What I keep thinking about is when I took care of those 4 kids. I think I've told you about this. They lived in, at best, a very unstable home situation where the role of parent was very blurry. I stepped in when I was... I think, 18? I was initially taking care of the baby, he was a year and a half and he took to me immediately, and I to him. But that's a baby. That's a survival thing, evolution etc. It was the older kids that really put me through the paces. I learned to love them, but as time went by (it was really only the first few weeks that they were interested in me and thought I was cool), they REALLY started to test me. They had had a few caregivers before me that they had driven away, I found out. My Mum told me it was a common thing for their ages, especially for the 5 year old. She said the honeymoon stage was over, and now he was going to really test my boundaries.

Like you say, they can be little emotional terrorists but for the most part it's unintentional. Pressing your buttons, sure, that can be pretty intentional and infuriating.

For all the times that this kid made me feel like, "Yeah! I'm finally getting the hang of this!" he'd yo yo the other way and make me feel completely devastated and worthless.

But they haven't grown out of that insulated "me" stage, they don't quite grasp that grown ups aren't just there for their sake. Teachers live in their classrooms, doctors live at hospitals, etc.

I had my share of tears trying to make my way into those kids' hearts and if the situation was different I may have finally gotten there with all of them. I know they'd made it into my heart.

The advantage you have is that you have a co conspirator, you have a partner in Julian and that will make a difference. I would say that the honeymoon period is over. He's asserting his independence and control in the only way he's capable. He's probably not sure of your staying power, he's had his Dad to himself and now he's gotta share time and attention.

Kids understand a lot more than a lot of people give them credit for. They know when you're trying too hard or when you're uncomfortable. They might not know why, but they'll feed off and react to the energy you're putting off.

There's no real answer here. It's gonna be hard. But there will also be pockets of sunshine.

As for just being 'the girlfriend', don't sweat so much over labels. I've only just started calling my Dad's girlfriend my step mum and it's been 10 + years. It just didn't occur to me. You teach people how to treat you. If you hang back and make yourself an outsider at these events, then you'll be an outsider.

Families are hard even when they're 'conventional'. Just care about that little guy, be good to him and his Dad. Kids are self esteem terrorists even to their biological parents, buddy. Try not to think of your new position as a role you have to fill, the pre conceived idea is a myth.

I've rambled enough. Sorry.

I hope this helps.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home